Sunday, September 8, 2019

Week 3: Freedom of Speech


Image result for empathy imagesThis week we read articles and watched videos regarding class discussions and freedom of speech. This was very interesting to read about because it opened my eyes to several different viewpoints on these topics. The first few readings mentioned in-class discussions. In a chapter from Cathy Berkenstein and Gerald Graff's book They Say, I Say, it was asked if I have ever participated in a class discussion which felt more like disconnected monologues than a genuine conversation? This made me think back to my high school English discussions, and it brought back the memories of how the comments seemed out of place and ruined the flow of the conversation. Why were these discussions this way? I believe that it has to do with people just wanting to get their own point across instead of attempting to reply or trying to show the other person respect for their opinion. However, when other ideas were disregarded that limited the conversation from bringing unity to the group. Another article discussed 12 essential communication skills which can lead to more thorough discussions. The first skill mentioned was empathy. Why do you think this is the first skill mentioned? I think it was first because if you don't have empathy towards others then how can you truly engage in a discussion with them. Without empathy you wouldn't be able to see their point of view or even care about their opinions. Another skill which is important is to acknowledge others when speaking in a group. This is important for several reasons. First, it helps everyone follow your contributions to the conversation by informing them of who you are responding too. It also clarifies if you agree with them or not. Lastly, it shows that you were engaged in what they had to say which shows them that you were listening and that you care. These are just two of the twelve communication skills that can improve discussions. 
Image result for microaggressions imageWe also learned about microaggressions which are degrading comments toward a certain person or group of people that happen in everyday conversations. These comments can be disguised as compliments but they carry negative impacts along with them. I'll be honest before I read these articles I had never even heard of this term, but I admit that I have witnessed some of these take place in my life. One example I remember most occurred in my AP calculus class last year. We had a few foreign exchange students in our class with us, and oftentimes people would call them out by saying "of course you are good at math because you are Asian." These remarks appear to be compliments, but maybe they were negatively impacting the lives of those students. I think this is a huge issue in our society because we all have those little bias thoughts that pop in our minds. However the article describing Microaggressions suggested that we can all make a difference just by being aware of our biases and choosing to change those thoughts. I believe it is important for us to try to change the bias opinions our society creates, and that starts with us! I challenge you to reflect on whatever you might be biased towards and to really attempt to change! Finally, we read about free speech on campus. I agree with John A. Powell and his opinion that free speech should be limited to a point. When speech gets to the point where it is offending someone or causing pain for someone then it has crossed the line and shouldn't be allowed. The problem comes when we have to draw the line. It can be difficult to say how far is too far, but as Powell states we should be working towards a better society which can be inclusive for all people.


No comments:

Post a Comment