Sunday, August 25, 2019

Week 1: Campus Engagement

This week we learned about the different ways we can get involved on our college campus. We came up with several different ways including attending sporting events, playing intramural sports, taking advantage of the campus resources, and getting a part time job. These are all good ways to get involved during our freshman year. On Wednesday, we watched a video by Jullien Gordon about the importance of college involvement and what to look for in our time in college. One quote made by him said, " We are spending $1.00 per minute of college. Then he also said we are paying for more than just education but also for an experience. That went along perfectly with the theme of community involvement, and it led us to a discussion about the importance of college. If we are spending this much money to attend college, how can we make the most of it? One way is to make relationships with others so you can create a social net worth through networking with others. We also discussed this question. Is college for everyone? We decided that no it is not for everyone, but at the same time it is very important for some careers such as doctors, lawyers, and engineers. This week of school showed me the importance of engaging rather than just attending college. I plan on taking this information and applying it by looking for an organization to join. I have already gotten involved in CRU which is a Christian organization on campus, but I am going to look for more to join. I am also going to think about joining some intramural teams as well. I am excited to see the many things I can become a part of in my first year at college!

1 comment:

  1. JD, I agree that extracurricular activities help to keep your mind healthy so that you're not spending your whole college career just phasing through classes. You might as well join the clubs you're interested in, especially if you're already paying for it! Like you, I am also thinking about joining a club sport. It's a great way to get my mind off school and procrastinate that chemistry homework.

    ReplyDelete